A Little Paper Piecing....

Thuban
My hand dyed fat quarters

I've been doing a little paper piecing this weekend.  A fellow blogger Kristy, showed her pieced block in this pattern and I just about flipped for it.  It's called Thuban and was only .99 cents through epatterns.  I thought it would be perfect for the 12 fat quarters I hand died earlier in the week.  12 fat quarters, 12, 12 inch blocks.  Viola - a quilt!  That was before I pieced the block.  OMG!  Talk about intense!  There's LOTS of little bits and LOTS of piecing.  This was probably not the right block to choose for a very inexperienced paper piecer.  But you know, I've never taken the easy road with anything, why start now?

The blue is from one fat quarter I dyed and the solid is organic seed cotton off white.
Am I going to continue with the rest of the 11 fat quarters?  Good question.  I should but that doesn't mean I will.  I think in the end it will make a fantastic quilt.  I'm just weighing the pros and cons of how much of a labor intensive project I want to take on as this IS my finishing year and I have lots of almost done projects waiting for my attention.  My quilting group, Running with Scissors, has it's yearly retreat in October and I'll need a project to take with me.  This might be the one to bring.


Piecing close up

I do like the pattern.......but I'm back to work tomorrow (ugh) and will no longer have all this leisure time on my hands to work on such a big project.  I think I'll just pin my one and only completed block up on my pin board in my office and look at it a lot.  


Comments

  1. wow, looks amazing! and you dyed your own fabric! i'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so beautiful McKenna! You did a great job for being fairly new to paper piecing - and hey it's always more fun (maybe fun's not the right word...) when you just jump in the deep end and try something!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts