Inspiration




When it comes to quilting inspiration for quilt designs, ideas come from anywhere and everywhere. The world of architecture always supplies a wealth of design ideas full of graphic punch. And what better 20th century architect to turn to for inspiration then the great Frank Lloyd Wright. Above is the cover of the July 1937 Town and Country magazine designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. I think it would make a fantastic quilt. I love the bold use of color (let's face it, I'm a sucker for anything red, white and blue) and the geometric structure that so clearly suggests a building. I really want to make this into a quilt. So now the challenge has begun - how?

I'm thinking paper piecing would be the only real way of transferring this design so precisely to a textile piece. I've begun drawing a graph over top of the photo in 1 inch blocks that I will then draw onto a large poster sized piece of paper that then becomes my paper piecing template. I think I may complete all the small flags separately and appliqué them as completed units onto the piece. I'm still thinking the process over but I think it just might work.

I love a challenge.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Comments

  1. Hi McKenna, you've been nominated for the Liebster Blog Award!

    http://thepeonyteacup.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/and-liebster-blog-award-goes-to.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. That will be one stunning quilt when it's finished. I can't wait to see your progress. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm hitting a brick wall at the moment in drafting this. It's HARD! But I haven't given up.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts