Current Hand Piece Project


Here's my first block finished using the Hands All Around pattern.  I'm pleased with how it turned out.  I wanted to make a test block first before committing myself (and my wallet) to future fabric purchases as the reproduction fabric doesn't come cheap (here in Australia on average you pay $21.50 a meter). 

I've figured that the most fabric I'll need for piecing the blocks will be for the background - probably around 5 meters.  I'm going use white on white and I've decided to use different white on white patterns throughout the quilt.  I'll stay consistent within the block but I'm not going to be concerned whether its the same white on white pattern from block to block throughout.  Actually I think I'm going to ensure the white tone changes a bit too.  Maybe throw in a few darker off white - white on white for visual interest.   I'm definitely going to use the the brown Jo Morton designed print throughout for the 'square' within the flowered units.  I invested in 2 meters of it and that should cover the creation of a queen sized quilt.  I haven't thought too much yet about the border - though I should because I'm thinking that same print would look awfully nice in the border.  I'll see.  Each 'flower' point I'll use two different tones of the same color.  In this one it's green.  I cut the fabric and pieced this block in one night so if I do a block or so a week it should come together pretty quickly.  But I'm in no hurry anyway.  It will be finished in it's own time.

This is the first time I've pieced this particular pattern.  I'd say its definitely not for the faint hearted though as it mostly consists of set in seams as well as curved piecing.  But if you're a really keen newby piercer with a little patience (and some wine) you too can make this block without loosing your mind.

Here's a photo of the back.  As you can see I don't concern myself much with which direction I let my seams fall.  As long as the finished block lays flat without bulky seams then I'm happy.  Sorry for the shadowed photography.  I took these photos first thing in the morning with lots of light streaming in from the windows into my sewing room.  It makes for a lovely bright room but when taking pictures it really throws a lot of shadow.


I plan to photograph my latest quilt completion as well as a few in-the-works projects but I just haven't gotten around to it.  I will soon.



Comments

Popular Posts